THE ROLE OF THE ACTIVITY/RECREATION ASSISTANT
Activity/Recreation Assistants plan and implement individual and group activities under the supervision of individuals such as Activity Coordinators and Recreational Therapists. Their primary goal is to enhance the clients’ quality of life through a focus on activity and recreation such as crafts, games, exercise and other social and cognitive activities.
- With BC’s growing seniors population, the job outlook for support workers including Activity/Recreation Assistant is very strong.
- Increase your employability with dual certification as both a Health Care Assistant and Activity/Recreation Assistant.
- Earn $17-$23/hour working with private clients and/or in care facilities including seniors’ homes, assisted living settings, adult day care and senior centers.
Potential Work Environments
- Assisted Living Settings
- Seniors’ Intermediate Care Facilities
- Seniors’ Recreation Centers
- Adult Day Program
- Clients’ Homes
Activity Assistant (AA) Part-Time: In Class Delivery
- 4 Months / 17 Weeks Total
- 1 day a week class for 14 weeks
- Includes 3 weeks of full-time practicum arranged by the college
- Activity/Recreation Assistant
- Activity Worker
- Activity Aide
- Activation Aide
- Activity/Recreation Aide
- Lifestyle & Program Assistant
Ask us about our $500 Early Registration Grant and other special promotions!
- Activity Assistant Role Framework
- Activities for Well Being
- Programming Activities for Clients With Cognitive Impairments
- Practicum I
- Practicum II
- Any one of the following:
- BC Care Aide Registry Number
- HCA/RCA/CSW/HSW Certificate
- Foreign Trained RN/LPN
- Certified Personal Trainer
- TB test
- Acceptable Ministry of Justice criminal record search within six months of program acceptance, or evidence to show that a criminal record search has been requested by the program start date
Class 4 Driver’s Licence increases employment opportunities
“We highly regard Community Support Work related schooling/credentials when making hiring decisions. The schooling indicates to us that applicants have some systematic training in the field and are passionate about quality care; this means they are likely to be high performers and stay longer because they fully understand what the job involves. Retention is a huge consideration, those that are likely to stay longer will always be highly sought after as it takes time to build working relationships and relationships with person served.”
“As you probably are aware by now, most of my recent hires are from your college, and I am very happy with the performance and work ethics of your graduates. They are very responsive, caring and have a solid knowledge by the time they enter the workforce.
Kudos to you and to your organization.
With much respect,”
Director of Care
Retirement Concepts Guildford Seniors Village
“Please find attached the attendance and evaluations for all of the students who completed their practicum with us from February 8th – 15th. It was great to speak with their buddies because they all had such positive feedback, and really enjoyed working with the students. We really enjoy having the students here, and we look forward to working with you more in the future!”
Human Resources Coordinator
Greater Vancouver Community Services Society