THE ROLE OF THE ACTIVITY/RECREATION ASSISTANT
Activity/Recreation Assistants plan and implement individual and group activities under the supervision of individuals such as Activity Coordinators and Recreational Therapists. Their primary goal is to enhance the clients’ quality of life through a focus on activity and recreation such as crafts, games, exercise and other social and cognitive activities.
- With BC’s growing seniors population, the job outlook for support workers including Activity/Recreation Assistant is very strong.
- Increase your employability with dual certification as both a Health Care Assistant and Activity/Recreation Assistant.
- Earn $17-$23/hour working with private clients and/or in care facilities including seniors’ homes, assisted living settings, adult day care and senior centers.
Potential Work Environments
- Assisted Living Settings
- Seniors’ Intermediate Care Facilities
- Seniors’ Recreation Centers
- Adult Day Program
- Clients’ Homes
Activity Assistant (AA) Part-Time: In Class Delivery
- 4 Months / 17 Weeks Total
- 1 day a week class for 14 weeks
- Includes 3 weeks of full-time practicum arranged by the college
- Activity/Recreation Assistant
- Activity Worker
- Activity Aide
- Activation Aide
- Activity/Recreation Aide
- Lifestyle & Program Assistant
Your investment in the Health Care Assistant program includes:
- All fees
- Textbooks and Materials
- Activity Assistant Diploma: $3,750
Ask us about our $500 Early Registration Grant and other special promotions!
- Activity Assistant Role Framework
- Activities for Well Being
- Programming Activities for Clients With Cognitive Impairments
- Practicum I
- Practicum II
- Any one of the following:
- BC Care Aide Registry Number
- HCA/RCA/CSW/HSW Certificate
- Foreign Trained RN/LPN
- Certified Personal Trainer
- TB test
- Acceptable Ministry of Justice criminal record search within 6 months of program acceptance, or evidence to show that a criminal record search has been requested by the program start date
Class 4 Driver’s Licence increases employment opportunities